Homeowners in the UK are more than willing to invest in the maintenance of their gardens and investing in a gardening franchise can be a profitable choice.
In 2017 alone, the garden industry in the UK saw a 3% increase and is worth just under £5bn.
Of course, there is a lot of hard work that goes into owning a gardening franchise and the work is usually quite physical.
About the industry
Gardening franchises can be an appealing option for a lot of entrepreneurs because they are usually relatively low cost but, done right, they can yield a good profit.
When you are looking for a franchise to buy, find out if the franchise will give you leads on potential customers. Many franchisors include this in the package that they sell you and this can help you to start making money right away.
There are several types of gardening franchises that are available, and it is worth researching and considering each one before you settle on an option.
- Garden maintenance is concerned with the upkeep of people’s gardens: mowing lawns, trimming hedges, pulling weeds etc. A lot of homeowners need the regular services of a professional garden maintenance company because of how time-consuming they are.
- Lawncare franchises focus on maintaining lawns and renovating them. Building a reputation as the expert in lawn care can be the key to the success of this type of business.
- Landscaping franchises are often called in to do one-off jobs. This means that you will need to be able to generate new customers all the time. This type of business focuses a lot on the design of a garden.
- Garden clearance services deal with the removal of garden waste and debris. If you invest in this franchise you will need to make sure that you have a van or trailer so that you can transport the waste.
- Garden infrastructure franchises handle more than just the plants. They will also usually handle the permanent features like fencing, terraces and paved areas.
- Retail franchises in the gardening industry focus on selling products that are related to gardening and gardens. This type of franchise is the most expensive to set up because of the stock you need to buy and the premises you will need to lease.
Although these are some of the different types of gardening franchises, you will also find that many businesses don’t stick to one exact format. You should be able to find a franchise that will overlap in a way that suits what it is that you are looking for in your business venture.
Is it for me?
It isn’t important for you to have previous experience or knowledge of the sector before you buy a gardening franchise. The franchisor will give you training before you set out, but it is important that you have some kind of interest in gardening, being outdoors and doing physical labour.
Investing in a garden franchise will help you to get into the industry without having to start completely from step one. That can be useful seeing as it can be quite a challenge to drum up business and customers.
You will need to think about what strengths and weaknesses you have so that you can make sure that you invest in the type of garden franchise that is right for you. There are a lot of aspects to this industry and, if you choose the right one, you are more likely to be successful.